Mental Health / Therapy
So what exactly does it mean to be a therapist? Is it a paid friendship, or a place to get life advice? Or better yet, a mindreader? As bizarre as these may sound, they are all very common questions a therapist still gets asked today.
Even though the world has increasingly put importance on mental health, there, unfortunately, is a lingering stigma that seeking help means that something is “wrong” with you. There continues to be a misconception on what therapy really is, as well as what it really means to be a therapist.
If you're interested in mental health and therapy as a future career, this course will teach you what it means to be a therapist, how to work with clients, and how to help individuals reach their ideal emotional wellness.
Industry Coach: Ting Ting Pak
- Introduction to the mental health industry and overall path into becoming a mental health provider
- Sneak peek of the day to day life of a therapist
- Iceberg activity
- Introduction of the importance of the therapeutic relationship
- Basic counseling skills
- Empathy vs sympathy discussion
- Practice foundational listening skills
- Introduction to clinical case formulation
- Discussion of the impact of biases and conflicting values between client and therapist
- Introduction to the 5 major multicultural identities
- Discuss case studies
**Time and date of classes are subject to change